Monday, January 15, 2007

Readers, Weigh In

What do you do?

  1. Buy a pretty great, though not perfect, house in a neighborhood you don't like (i.e. the one I live in now) at a good price or
  2. Keep looking for a similar house in your dream neighborhood, knowing that they are few, far between and will probably be priced higher elsewhere even if you happen to find one
Post your thoughts.

6 comments:

Tracie said...

I suppose it would matter how badly you need to get out of the house you are currently in (be it for space or getting to another school zone district). If you can stick it out, why not try but give yourself a time limit?

When we bought our house it was vacant (can't remember how long) but we did walk away from it once even though we knew it was our dream home (at the time). In fact I did that twice in my life and it all ended up working out.

Not sure if that advice helps or not, maybe have some wine and ponder some more......

skrpndiva said...

I was going to say exactly what Tracie said. Depends upon how long you can stay in the house you are in now and how much, ultimately, you are willing to pay in the neighborhood you want! If you can afford it, then wait, otherwise compromise on something you can live in happily.

OneScrappyChick said...

I would compromise on a pretty great house... but not in a bad neighborhood. Maybe you can find a pretty great house in a better neighborhood even if it's not the great one you want? I don't know.. but good luck with whatever you decide.

Kim - ScrapToMyLu said...

well.........it all depends. That helps doesn't it?
Here are the options I am sure you haven't thought of.
1. Wait it out. Wait for the house you think you want.

2. Buy the house in the neighborhood you're not thrilled about since it's a great price, then sell it for a profit in 2 yrs and move where you really want.

3. Moving into the neighborhood you're not thrilled about may end up being a better situation than you expect. Great neighbors?,great kids for your kids to play with, etc.....

4. Move to Camas next door to me. Great house - 3600 sq ft. View, great schools, neighborhood and community, 25 min from Portland, $525,000

Lissa said...

I think for me, it would depend on how badly I wanted to be rid of my current living situation. If it has gotten unbearable and you just can't stay another six months, then take what your heart tells you is acceptable and can be made to be what you want it to be.

If you can hold out, I would say wait as long as you can. You'll be happier in the long run finding what you really want, where you really want it.

Just take your time and weigh it all out - maybe a pros and cons list might help?

Good luck!
hugs,
Lissa

Meghan said...

I would prob go with #1 & still keep looking in the other neighborhoods. You can always sell & buy!