Saturday, January 05, 2008

What I Learned Spending A Day in Santa Barbara

On the second to last day of 2007, we took a little excursion to Santa Barbara along with my parents and my sister. After a lovely lunch we headed to the zoo. The day was not only fun but also educational. Being the giver that I am, I thought I'd share with you some of the things I learned:

  • Santa Barbara is too close and too cute for us not to go more often;
  • When I grow up, I'd love a little cottage near the beach there for weekends away from the hustle and bustle of the suburbs;
  • Just when I think I have the three most hellacious kids in the world and question my own sanity by taking them to a restaurant where innocent people are trying to enjoy a meal, they can completely surprise me by acting like human beings;
  • My family and I are just not animal people.
  • Some giraffes seem quite enthralled by drinking the urine of other giraffes;
  • Being 2 feet away from a lion is creepy regardless of the 6 inch thick glass separating us;
  • Regardless of the fact that the Santa Barbara Zoo is cute and small and perfect for an outing with kids, it still smells like animal poop;
  • Those animals there are residing on some prime ocean side real estate;
  • The crappy gift shop at the little zoo train has quite a selection of train-themed (even Thomas!) items.
  • It's never too early to start shopping for Brady's birthday;
  • Just because you can legally fit 8 people in an SUV doesn't make it the best idea;
  • Souplantation has a great concept but they can sure work out the logistics better;
  • There is no day that can't be improved by a train ride (if you're 4) or a trip to Starbucks (if you're me);
  • There is nothing cuter than grandparents interacting with their grandchildren;
  • Time spent enjoying family is always time well-spent, even when you have to miss a football game.

7 comments:

OneScrappyChick said...

Sounds like you all had a nice time!!!! :)

Tracie said...

I love reading your blog, you are such a good writer! I used to watch that soap opera called "Santa Barbara" way back when, it was the only one I enjoyed, now I watch Transformers the animated series.

Meghan said...

Good times!

skrpndiva said...

Wow, you sure learned a lot!

Jax

tspwlv said...

Tracie-LOL
Jax-Are you mocking me?

NikJustNik said...

I love your blog babe.. you never fail to give me a giggle.. I think you had a good time at the zoo... dispite the animal poo LOL!!! You should come over and visit Australia Zoo... so much fresh air you hardly notice the animal poo LOL!!!

Awesome Abby said...

I spent a lot of time catching up on your blog posts this morning! Oh, how I love to read the things you write! Miss you and hope you are all doing well! XO!